February 13, 2011

Converting passion into reality


Pakistan no doubt has excellent talent; the only thing lacking is the organisation and management of resources, human and natural alike, to take into concern available opportunities. In search of talent we came across Asad, an FSc pre-engineering student who resides in Okara, Punjab. He has a passion in optics, and was initially inspired by his glasses and then started playing with different lenses. This inspiration led him to innovation. Asad had built a lunar telescope at home, which is very much effective, and magnified images of the moon can be seen from his rooftop. Ch Qamar Raza talked to Asad Mehmood about his passion as hobbyist

Brief us about yourself.

Asad Mehmood: My name is Asad Mehmood. I belong to a small city Okara of Punjab province. I am student of F.Sc pre engineering at Divisional Public School & College Okara.

What is your project all about?

The project that I successfully completed is of a reflecting telescope of Newtonian design. It is the Pakistan's 5th largest telescope and it has a mirror of 6" diameter. The focal ratio of the mirror is f/11 and thus the focal length is 180 cm. I've ground, polished and parabolized this mirror myself in a couple of months.

How you conceive this idea?

In fact, I’m a hobbyist with special interest in the field of optics since my childhood. And I’m also an amateur astronomer, that’s why I wanted to explore the universe with my own made telescope. This craze motivated me to this idea.

Working with convex and concave lenses, I used to make small refracting telescopes and nice microscopes. It extended my thinking to build some larger telescope, but that is too expensive to import. But at the same time that can be used for planetary observation in a best way.

Who is your inspirational source?

In 2009, Sir Umair Asim and Ali Khan of Khwarzimi Science Society from Lahore along with his team arranged an event for lunar and planetary observing session in my school. This was the first time when I saw a real telescope in my life; it was a 14" reflecting telescope. So, I decided to make a telescope nearly similar to that one.

What hurdles you faced to build this telescope?

In the act of every positive work, there are always some hurdles, which cause us to stop, but if we are consistent then nobody can prevent our way to prosper. I had many hurdles during this project; the most I faced was the unavailability of required materials and parts like coating chamber, mount building goods, OTA etc. But I kept trying and finally I done it.

It was not an easy task to collect the material and resources. I had to visit markets, old machine shops, and even junk yards to find my required material. I almost tried every corner of Lahore city, which was really a hectic job. But my passion and commitment always kept me pushing. At this stage I cannot neglect the help of my friends and my teachers, who encouraged me to fulfill this task.

Who was your guide during your project?

It is very important to thank everyone who guided me in this project but I’m very much thankful to Mr. Ali Khan, he is an amateur astronomer from Lahore. He guided and introduced me to telescope making experts. He always kept on helping me at various stages of this project to a great extent.

How did you build your technical skills?

As you know, generally in our country and particularly in our area there isn’t any facility to polish the talent. I build my skills on trial & error basis. Trial and error, or trial by error, is a general method of problem solving, fixing things, or for obtaining knowledge. "Learning doesn't happen from failure itself but rather from analyzing the failure, making a change, and then trying again." I adopted the same method and gradually I started learning.

Did your family, friends or teachers helped in your project?

Unfortunately no one helped me in my project except my father, who facilitated me at every stage and provided me everything that I required. My father was very much sure that I could perform this difficult and laborious task.

What is your eventual goal?

My ultimate goal is to become a scientist having great knowledge about all branches of science. Either it is "Optics" or "Electronics", "Mechanics" or "Thermodynamics". I want to get a vast knowledge about all of them to serve my country. I wish I could build the largest telescope of Pakistan. I want that Pakistan may earn a good repute and prosper rapidly.

How educational institutions can encourage peoples like you?

I think in every educational institution of good fame and repute, whether it is government, semi govt. or a private, there must be some science club activities which may vary, depending upon the grade level. Those clubs can provide chance to student to innovative ideas in science and can offer activities that allow student to draw their own conclusions. In doing this, the students can see how science changes and affects the world. These activities can also provide an opportunity for students to take make new and fun discoveries.

Would you like to add something?

Indeed Pakistan does have enormous talent, but it is not only in the cities. In the course of all these tempting descriptions it is a sad truth that the unfortunate children of Pakistan living in the rural areas are not noticed in terms of their abilities. Nevertheless this can be attributed to the inevitable disparity that exists between the economically rich and economically poor masses of our country.

It is the beginning and the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I would also like to appreciate the role of Pakistan Science Club towards learning science; their goal is to promote science and technology in Pakistan and they are doing it very well.


http://www.technologytimes.pk/mag/2011/feb11/issue02/converting_passion_into_realtiy.php

No comments:

Post a Comment